Wednesday, January 28, 2009

When Location Trumps Sanitation: The Carter Hotel in New York City

"If the curtains close, light is off, it's not that bad."


That's the quote from a Ukrainian businesswoman in 2005, in the New York Times. Fast forward to 2009 and the Carter Hotel has been named the dirtiest hotel in America by TripAdvisor.com for the third time in four years.

When I started this blog, I promised myself that I wouldn't publicly shame any hotel or motel by name. I've since changed my mind, because the Carter hotel deserves it.

I pass this hotel every night on the way home from work. I think I'll start taking a different route from now on.

Here's the dated lobby. So warm and inviting, with 1980s neon, random, mismatched furniture, warped stainless steel, dirty ceiling panels, a folding table, vending machines, and much, much more!





If you get can past that, head up to your room. Enjoy the multicolored hallways.



Still not convinced you should leave? This might be your room.




Almost makes you want to just flop down on the bed. Almost.




Wall-to-wall-carpet. Literally.






It's time to unpack, but where's the closet?

Oh, here it is.

"Honey, did you remember to pack the closet rod?"


After you get settled, call up for room service...


Or maybe plug in your laptop.



Maybe the plug is under here. Maybe not.


You must be tired. Why don't you freshen up in the bathroom?








Maybe I'll just take in the view.


Maybe I'll just watch TV.



One of the reviews on Trip Advisor said, "Not Even the Homeless Would Stay Here." Unfortunately, they did, in the 80's. Apparently nothing was done to clean up the mess they left behind.

Check out the official website by clicking here.

6 comments:

Hamamama said...

Sooooo disgusting. I cant decide what is the worst part - the neon lights, the carpeted walls, was that dust on top of the tv, the bathrooms...GROSS! How many murders do you think have taken place in that hotel, and my follow up questions - how many dead bodies are still under the beds?

Chris said...

There was at least one murder in 2007. You'd think that people would run away in droves, yet they are still in business. I think the post title sums it up.

CT said...

Did you actually GO there and take those pictures? If so, I am quite impressed - and may have to rethink my whole, "Jim Dolan is my favoritest reporter ever" feelings...

Chris said...

Sorry, CT. I didn't go there. A little internet sleuthing is all it took.

I am actively seeking submissions for this blog, but until I get some, I have to scour the internet.

The Pansy Bastard™ said...

That looks not unlike a hotel I stayed at in Moscow back in 1990. We were told this was one of their 'finer' establishments. The bathroom was equally digusting, except it was mint green, perhaps in an attempt to disguise the mold?

Does not NYC have a health department?

Mitzi said...

I enjoyed that, and now I feel sullied.

This could be the very hotel we booked to stay in a few years ago. Is the hotel situated on Christopher Street by any chance? We took one look around at the flaky ceiling the nylon sheets with toenail clippings, the lovely view of the bins and I swore they was a skid mark on one of the towels, we left, got our money back and stayed at The Days Inn Hotel Broadway. I'm not saying that British hotels are perfect,not by a long shot, Colins gay guesthouse in Blackpool for example, Ye gods! your feet actually stick to the carpets in there, you can imagine what with! rubber sheets on the bed and no ensuite.